Summer means burgers! They’re everywhere this time of year. I mean, have you been to a cookout lately? But rather than going with mediocre-tasting, low-grade beef loaded with who-knows-what, why not pick up some delicious grass-fed beef or bison?
Really kick that patty up a notch! At a cookout we hosted a few weeks ago, I grilled some grass-fed beef. I added only salt and pepper — I kid you not — and everyone kept asking, “What is in this?!” They were amazed that real meat had so much natural flavor.
But grass-fed meat can be expensive, especially if you’re feeding a crowd. Enter: The slider! Fill your friends up on less expensive hummus and guac and veggies before breaking out the big guns.
And maybe you’ll inspire your friends to think again about their cheap-o factory-farmed meat.
Of course these would be incredible on the grill, but the weather trumped last night. A cast iron skillet is an excellent choice — especially with a lower-fat burger, which might get a little dry on the grill. And I love packing spices and herbs into burgers for a gourmet flair!
Bison SlidersMakes 6 sliders. Time: 20 minutes I went with a Mexican flavor with these, but you can swap out the spices and have any flavors you fancy!
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp each parsley and cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- slider buns (I found 100% whole-wheat ones!) and toppings
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix thoroughly but no longer than necessary.
- Divide into 6 equal portions (about 3 oz. each) and shape into patties
- Cook over medium high heat for about 2 minutes per side — bison is lean and best cooked to medium.
- Top as desired and enjoy!