So Scott is preparing for the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, which means this week he wants all pasta, all the time. I made a cheesy pasta casserole yesterday and shrimp scampi was requested by the carbo-loader for tomorrow. So I thought I’d make something…less Italian…tonight. What the hell, I thought. This morning I cut my hair short (!), tonight I’ll make a peanut sauce.
The idea was clenched when I found not one, not two, but three open jars of pb in the cabinet. What?! Clearly we needed to clean out. I decided that it would be brilliant to mix the sauce up in the peanut butter jar. One less dish to clean!
After that heavy cheesy pasta last night and fried falafel after my haircut, I thought it’d be nice to go lighter. Seven different vegetables seemed like the way to go. Though if you don’t have 7 different veggies, don’t let that discourage you! Really, you can make this with whatever you might have on hand. With some very minor adjustments, this recipe could be made vegan as well!
So here’s to carbo-loading, and here’s to Scott running 26.2 on Sunday. And here’s to me running around almost as much to cheer him on.
Veggie Lo Mein with Peanut SauceWith this amount of veggies you can easily serve 4 or more. Most of the time is spent chopping up the veggies; feel fry to buy the pre-cut ones to speed things along (many of mine were). Lo mein noodles only take a few minutes to cook but you can also substitute linguine.
For the peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- scant 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- scant 1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced (or 1 tsp powder)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- A healthy squeeze of Sriacha sauce (to taste)
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly (I shook mine up in the peanut butter jar). Add some water if it’s too thick to pour.
For the veggies and pasta:
- 1 green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 package (12 oz) broccoli slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup snow peapods
- coconut oil
- About 8 oz. lo mein noodles
- Chopped cilantro and basil to garnish
- Cook together first 4 veggies in a tablespoon or so of coconut oil until softened. While the veggies cook, start cooking the pasta.
- Stir in broccoli slaw and cook a few more minutes (you may need a bit more oil). Then add in cabbage and peapods and cook another minute or two. Toss with about 1/2 cup of the peanut sauce.
- Combine the pasta with about a cup of the peanut sauce until it’s thoroughly coated. Top with the veggies. Garnish with a combination of cilantro and basil.