Whenever I go out for breakfast, I usually base my decision on two things:
- What options include avocado?
- Are there huevos rancheros on the menu?
If there are huevos topped with avocado — done deal.
So on the rare weekend mornings I have leftover tortillas at home, I take a break from frittatas for one. Huevos rancheros it is!
These can be as simple as scrambling some eggs and layering a few ingredients, or you can take a few extra steps to make your breakfast even more special. So get the coffee brewin’, and whip up some huevos for breakfast.
Huevos RancherosThis serves one but of course it is easily doubled, tripled, or more. If you’re too hungry or too groggy, skip to the end for the lazy-man’s version. Of course, topping them with avocado kicks this outta the park.
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, diced (optional)
- grated cheese
- salsa or hot sauce
- salt & pepper
- oil, butter, or bacon grease
- Spray the tortillas with a bit of oil (or coat a pan with about a teaspoon of oil) and lightly toast them until golden spots develop, flipping every two minutes or so. Transfer to a plate. Top with cheese.
- Heat a few tablespoons of fat in the pan and add the beans — watch out for spatters! Smash the beans with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the diced tomato (or a few tablespoons of salsa), season with salt & pepper, and cook, stirring, until it comes together in a thick paste (like refried beans). Spoon onto the tortillas.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water; season with salt and pepper. Heat a bit more oil in the pan, add the eggs, and cook until just set. Don’t worry about wiping out the pan; the eggs will pick up the last bits of beans and tomato and all that yummy flavor. (You could also fry the eggs; in this case you will want to start with a clean pan.)
- Top tortillas with eggs and top with a bit of salsa or hot sauce.
The easy way:
Microwave tortillas for about 15 seconds on a plate, sprinkle with cheese. Warm up the beans with a little bit of salsa in a small bowl. Mash with a fork until they’re the consistency of refried beans and spoon onto the tortillas. Scramble the eggs, spoon on top of the beans. Top with hot sauce or salsa.